University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust
Nominated for Team of the Year 2021
The NICU and TCW team are being nominated for their passion and commitment to the neonates and their parents and colleagues. These two areas provide care to regional and local families, and also host the Neonatal Outreach Service and Peninsula Neonatal Transport Service. They are responsible for
1.the stabilisation of sick and preterm infants,
2.Ficare – empowering parents through compassion, empowerment, inclusivity and education,
3. Prepare babies and their families for discharge using a MDT, across service line collaboration and multi-agency approach.
4. Undertake the safe retrieval, referral and repatriation of neonates and their families across and beyond the South West.
5. Retinopathy of Prematurity regional service.
6. Achieving Stage 2 of the Baby Friendly Initiative.
7. Recently successful in achieving the Bronze award of the Bliss Baby Charter
8. Passionate inclusive support from our admin colleagues and neonatal technical support team.
The TCW service not only minimises avoidable separation but allows the NICU service to keep its front door open to infants requiring L3 care. Together they have to be responsive to the demands of both local and regional families, collaborating with colleagues from across the network to ensure the right baby, right cot, right place, right time.
The MDT team, along with allied health care professionals, undertake ward rounds inclusive of parent contribution to ensure they are partners in their baby’s neonatal journey. The Keep Me Close Facebook page is testament to the hard work of the team and provides lovely examples of parental feedback as well as NICU and TCW graduates.